Thursday, September 19, 2013

Reflective blog-September 21, 2013!

This week has been quite an eventful week in econ.  We started the Stock Market game, which I will go into detail on shortly.  We also were given a case study that is due next week, on health care reform.  We learned all about the governments involvement in our economy, and the pros and cons of that.  Econ thus far has actually been a pretty fun and entertaining class, and seems to be continuing as such.  Now back to this stock market game.  This is a very interesting game we are playing, and although I could write a lot more on it, its 1am right now, so I'll just explain the game and how it works, and why its interesting.  This is a game online, where we sign up and join a session (in this case our classes session or "game"), then we are given fake money to buy fake stocks online.  The cool thing about all this is that the stock market in the game actually is the real stock market!  The game is about 10-20 min behind the actual market.  We are just buying fake stock and all, so our buys don't affect the market, but its really cool cause it actually is what the market is doing.  Is Apple stock is going up, then the Apple stick in the game goes up!  We are all as a class also competing to see who will have the most net worth.  The game is constantly ranked, everyone is ranked by their current net worth.  And on October 17 (OR 16..??) The game ends, and whoever has the greatest net worth wins!  So this should all be quite interesting and fun!

-Boomer

7 comments:

  1. The stock market game is really fun!!!!!!!! I share your interest in how we are actually playing with what the real stock market is doing. It is a great way to learn about the stock market if you ever want to do it in real life. (I personally wouldn't, because it is pretty risky and potentially frustrating.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that this game would be a good practice for people wanting to go into stocks later on in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying the game because I/we get to experience stocks that are practically up-to-date. I cant wait to see who wins "the big prize".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, I think the game is fun and interesting though it can be confusing at time and I am not too good at it but other than that everyone else seems to be doing really well with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the stock market game
    Buy low sell high

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the best part of the week was the stock market game!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stock market game is so fun, but it can be annoying at times. I am so totally going to win.

    ReplyDelete